SARTA will discuss Massillon route changes at public meetings Thursday
CANTON – Stark Area Regional Transit Authority officials will discuss upcoming changes to several routes serving the Massillon and Canton areas during public meetings at 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thursday.
The sessions will be at the system’s Massillon Transit Center, 41 S. Erie St. in Massillon, and may be attended virtually via SARTA’s Facebook page, which may be accessed at www.facebook.com/SARTAonline or by entering SARTA in the Facebook search bar. A live stream will appear when each meeting begins.
Public comment and questions are welcome and may be submitted in advance by completing the form at www.sartaonline.com/public-meetings. Questions submitted via the website by noon Wednesday will be answered during the meetings.
The following route changes are to take effect Nov. 15:
- Massillon routes 122/128 will add stops at Sterilite, Shearer's Foods and the Navarre YMCA.
- Massillon routes 124/126 will be interlined. Route 124 will leave the Massillon Transit Center at 6:15 a.m. and run at 90-minute intervals. Route 126 will depart from the Massillon Transit Center at 5:30 a.m. and run at 90-minute intervals. New service to Amherst Plaza and J&J Motors is being added.
“The changes to Routes 122/128 and 124/126 will boost the economy by making it easier than ever for people to travel to work, restaurants, retail stores, health care facilities, and a wide variety of other destinations in the area and are being made in response to growing demand for public transit service in and around Massillon,” SARTA CEO Kirt Conrad said in a prepared statement.
According to Conrad, the altered routes will:
- Reduce congestion in the Massillon zone.
- Link the Southeast side to businesses and restaurants on Lincoln Way and eliminate the need for riders to transfer buses.
- Travel to and from Fresh Mark every 90 minutes Monday through Saturday from 6:35 a.m. to 8:05 p.m., augmenting service already provided by SARTA’s Success Express.
- Offer all-day rather than limited service to J&J Motors and other destinations in the Northwest section of Massillon.
- Provide new service to the Amherst Plaza as well as Family Dollar, Marc’s, China King and other businesses in that area.
- Offer all-day rather than limited service to the industrial centers and employers on Massillon’s Southwest side, including Adam’s Signs, MPI Logistics, and EB Display.
In addition to the changes being made in Massillon, the transit authority also announced that Route 101 in Canton will use 35th Street instead of 34th Street when outbound from the Cornerstone Transit Center. The stops now on 34th Street will be moved to 35th Street. The change does not impact the existing schedule.
For more information about the route changes, including schedules and maps, go to: www.sartaonline.com/public-meetings.
Published: Tuesday, October 5, 2021