Community Action Wayne/Medina and the Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA) launch safe, affordable, convenient countywide public transit serv
Wayne County Transit (WCT) a joint project of Community Action Wayne/Medina (CAWM) and the Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA), will begin offering safe, affordable, convenient countywide public transit service on (insert date). CAWM and SARTA released the following information about Wayne County Transit:
- All Wayne County residents may use WCT.
- Service will be available Monday through Saturday from 6:00 AM until midnight. Trips must be scheduled in advance.
- WCT is a shared ride service so passengers may ride with others who are traveling in the same general direction. In addition, drivers may make multiple pickups and drop-offs during each trip.
- All WCT vehicles are ADA compliant and will accommodate personal mobility devices including wheelchairs.
- The one-way fare of $2.50 may be paid with EXACT CHANGE on the bus or via EZfare, SARTA’s free mobile ticketing smartphone app.
- Residents are required to register with CAWM before using WCT. Registration forms may be obtained by calling 330-264-8677 and are also available online at www.cawm.org. When the registration process is complete residents will receive a unique WCT Client ID number that will enable them to schedule rides.
- Request for reservations should be received three to four days in advance of the day the trip is needed.
- Residents who start using the service for work trips will receive free trips to and from work for their first 20 days riding on the service.
- Additional detailed information about WCT is available online at Wayne County Transit (sartaonline.com) https://www.sartaonline.com/wayne-county-transit, https://www.cawm.org/programs-and-services/transportation-Assistance/ or by calling 330-264-8677.
“WCT meets the demonstrated need for countywide public transportation,” CAWM President/CEO Melissa Pearce said. “Residents who once faced mobility challenges will now be able to travel to work, medical appointments, government offices, stores, senior centers, and hundreds of other destinations in Wayne County. I am confident WCT will significantly improve and enhance the quality of life in our community, and I would like to thank the Wayne County commissioners and SARTA for working with us to create and operate the new service.”
SARTA CEO Kirt Conrad said his award-winning, nationally recognized agency was eager to lend its experience and expertise to the project. “Across Ohio, and particularly in rural areas, the lack of mobility is a barrier to self -sufficiency, job creation, and economic growth,” he said. “I believe WCT will break down that barrier by delivering the safe, affordable, reliable, and convenient mobility services the people of Wayne County want, need, and deserve.”
Funding for WCT is provided by the Federal Transit Administration, the Ohio Department of Transportation, and various local contracts.
For more information, please contact SARTA Customer Service at 330-477-2782, Option #2 or CAWM at 330-264-8677.
Published: Thursday, September 30, 2021